Sunday 13 May 2012

Good hare day

If this were a Hollywood movie we would know that things have to go wrong, that set backs have to be overcome and courage mustered before a final happy resolution. I am really hoping that the last 2 weeks fit that part of our plot line and that we can now move on in a steadfast way towards our goals.
The first goal is the Norfolk 100 which I have to say is scaring me witless. My series of tumbles knocked my confidence as well as denting my arm and causing my fitness to retreat to December style levels. So for lots of reasons it has been with some trepidation that I have hauled myself back on board my beloved bike. It is so good that I have huge support and encouragement from Lesley. I think a solo me might have crawled into the bike shed and stayed there!
I managed a couple of round the blocks before last weekend then on Bank Holiday Monday with warnings of dire weather ringing in our ears , Lesley and I headed East with a view to putting miles under wheels for the first time together in a wee while. Lesley was trialling her new paniers as preparation for France and we both found that luggage and head wind combined made for a bit of a challenge. We started by aiming for Loddon via Hempnall and Seething Ling. Just North of Hempnall we had the most magical encounter with a group of mad may hares. They were clearly having a great time larking about in a maize field and were completely unaware of our presence. So much so that 2 ended up running straight down the road towards us and came almost within touching distance before swerving off back to the field. I have never seen hares face on so close up . We felt very priveleged and also slightly smug as about 2 minutes before this we had been overtaken by a serious roadie chap - head down pedalling fast- who would have missed the entire hare show. Being a tortoise has many benefits.

Our initial loss of blood sugar was swiftly remedied at Rosy Lee's in Loddon then back into the head wind to see how close to Lowestoft we could get without having to swim. More hares popped out of hedgerows to check us out. Definitely a good hare day.

 We battled on through Haddiscoe and took an executive decision based on weather and family commitments to turn back West slightly earlier trhan planned. After a scary flirtation with the A134 we found some idyllic back roads to take us above Beccles and Bungay and lead us to the very welcoming Earsham Hall tea room where mixed bean soup revived us in body and soul. The rain arrived as soon as we left for home but it was made bearable by the thought of a waiting hot shower.
We were pleased to have clocked up a good mileage but neither of us are under any illusions about the fact that 100 miles is a very long way and that trying to average 70 miles a day with luggage is going to be a test. Onwards and I hope not too much upwards.



No comments:

Post a Comment