Sunday 26 February 2012

Another windy Wednesday

22/2/12/
I would really like to know what I have done to offend the cycling gods. A very simple plan to cycle to Diss to meet Lesley for a coffee becomes a test of will and endurance. I knew it was a wee bit breezy when I set off. Our prevailing wind is South West and it as the journey progressed it decided that prevailing was not good enough. Wednesday was clearly scheduled as the day when it would conquer the Eastern counties and lay flat everything in its path. Not content with mere wind a good soaking with horizontal rain added to the general warm , fuzzy " I love cycling" vibes my body was busy transmitting to my brain.
 So a trip that normally takes 50 minutes took well over an hour and entailed a  major sense of humour loss on the way . Luckily , I bumped into (metaphorically , not literally) Felix, Diss's excellent busker and was cheered by listening to him. In the interests of testing all  aspects of the French excursion, I then found Lesley in the coffee shop and re-fueled with caffeine and croissant.
Circulation and humour revived I headed for home and , yes, payback time. Tail wind all the way. No records broken but a much happier home run in a rather more respectable time.
Pedals still fine. Again bike and I remained attached when we should have been and not when not. However, I did realise the hard way that breathable shoes are not waterproof....Duh!

23/2/12
More progress on other excursions - I have found a B and B near Sandown run by a lady called Edwina. I was a bit worried that we might be made to listen to Strictly Come Dancing tales of woe with our full english breakfasts but the surname doesn't match so I think we will be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment